7/08/2011

The News. What is it?




I have gone back to the point of asking, "What is news?"

I read it everyday, I watch it everyday, and I listen to it everyday.  So, asking myself "what is news?" is like asking me "what is air?"

Of course, we can go by basic definitions and this comes from Merriam Webster:


Here's something from Poynter:
News is the ultimate manifestation of a human desire to know what’s going on, to make sense of the world, to catch up on the latest. It can be a letter from home, gossip at the water cooler, or a phone call from a friend you haven’t heard from in a while. It’s a stock pick or a wanted poster. Sometimes news comes dressed as entertainment — as in movie reviews and baseball scores. 
News is information I need. It’s intelligence that gives me an edge on the competition. It’s knowledge to help me prepare for the worst. It’s facts that set me straight, trends that show me where things are headed, predictions that may (or may not) come true. It’s wisdom that helps me live better.
Personally, here is how I try to figure out what the news is:

I think of everyone who is important to me.  Then I figure out what important things they need to know about all the stuff that happened today that will continue to be important in the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment